A line of old DeSoto cars with movie advertising banners lined up on Franklin Street outside the Tampa Theatre. The movie playing at Tampa Theatre in this historic photograph is In Gay Madrid.
Historic photograph Courtesy of the Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System
Modern photograph by Bryan Weinstein
WOW so downtown Tampa wasn’t always a bunch of mismatched broken up buildings & empty lots
Here is something else that is interesting, Amanda from the Tampania Blog created this
old Tampa streetcar map. There were more miles of street car lines back then, than there are now.
This photo also shows the 2nd home of Maas Bros. drygoods store. The building on the right, with the vertical sign, “Drugs” was known as the Krauss Building. Maas moved there in 1898 from from its original 1886 location at the corner of Franklin & Twiggs, the “Dry Goods Palace.” You can see more views of the Krauss Bldg. at http://www.tampapix.com/maas.htm
In the 1920s, Maas moved across Franklin St. just off camera to the right of this photo, into the former American National Bank Bldg.