A well dressed group of people standing outside the front of the Temple Terrace Country Club.
Historic photograph Courtesy of the Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System
Modern photograph by Bryan Weinstein
These are many of the early developers of Temple Terrace. The only woman there is Maude Cody Fowler, for whom Fowler Avenue was named. The first mayor of Temple Terrace, D. Collins Gillette, is the large man on the first step to the right of the man holding the hat in front of him.
Maude Cody was born in 1875 in Memphis, TN, the daughter of Joseph L. Cody (a relative of the famous scout and showman, “Buffalo Bill” Cody,) and Harriet Cody. While quite young, she relocated to Kansas City where she became one of the most successful women of the business world in that city, becoming the Vice President of the Security Underwriters Corp. of Kansas City and head of the the Kansas City Women’s Athletic Club. Operating out of Kansas City, she became one of the most leading developers of real estate in Florida, responsible for bringing many of Florida’s leading citizens to this state. Mrs. Fowler was married to Orin Scott Fowler and their son was the prominent Tampa attorney Cody Fowler of Fowler, White. Mrs. Fowler moved to Tampa around 1921 and became one of the founding developers of Temple Terrace. The original town plan for Temple Terrace, created in 1922, was a model of town planning in its day. Between 1923 and 1925 during the land boom, streets were paved, storm sewers installed, and a well was drilled to tap spring water. On May 25, 1925, the City was incorporated, with D. Collins Gillette, one of the founding developers, serving as the first mayor, and Maude Fowler, serving as vice mayor. Maude Fowler died suddenly in Tampa on April 7, 1942.
Thanks for the history!